The story of the Battle of Midway, told by the leaders and the sailors who fought it.
Director: Roland Emmerich
Budget: $100 million
Box office: $125.8 million
Los Angeles Premiere
When: Tuesday 5th November 2019
Where: Regency Village Theatre, Westwood, Los Angeles, CA
When: Tuesday 20th October 2019
Where: Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Honolulu, Hawaii
When: Saturday 24th October 2019
Where: Astor Filmlounge, Munich, Germany
- Midway is one of the most costly independent films ever made.
- Roland Emmerich had tried to make the film in the 90s with Sony but because the film was proposed with a $100 million budget, it never got made. In 2017, he was again attached to the project and still had trouble getting the film greenlit because of the costly budget. It was only after he worked on the project a little more reducing the budget from $125 million to $76 million that he was able to get the film made. With the help of Chinese investors, a further $24 million was given towards the film bringing the final budget to $100 million.
- Lionsgate spent around $40 million just on promoting the film, alone.
- Filming took place in Montreal, Canada and Hawaii, USA, between September and December 2018.
- The film’s cast line-up was only finalised a month before filming began!