Thirty years after starring in “The Wizard of Oz,” beloved actress and singer Judy Garland arrives in London to perform sold-out shows at the Talk of the Town nightclub. While there, she reminisces with friends and fans and begins a whirlwind romance with musician Mickey Deans, her soon-to-be fifth husband.
Director: Rupert Goold
Budget: $10 million
Box office: $43.6 million
When: Tuesday 10th September 2019
Where: Princess of Wales Theatre, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Los Angeles Premiere
When: Thursday 19th September 2019
Where: Samuel Goldwyn Theater, Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, CA
When: Monday 30th September 2019
Where: Curzon Mayfair, London
When: Tuesday 8th October 2019
Where: The Capitol, Melbourne, Australia
When: Tuesday 4th February 2020
Where: Cinema Gaumont Marignan, Paris, France
- Renée Zellweger worked closely with vocal coach Eric Vetro for a year, before rehearsing with musical director Matt Dunkley for four months, in preparation of her role.
- The make-up department had to add prosthetics to Renée Zellweger’s nose to be more identical to Judy Garland!
- Filming took place in around London, England with locations including Hackney Empire, West London Film Studios and more!
- The film led Renée Zellweger to win an Academy Award for Best Actress at the 2020 Oscars; marking her second win at the Academy.
- Judy Garland’s daughter, Liza Minnelli didn’t approve of the film, and released a statement on her Facebook page saying “I have never met nor spoken to Renee Zellweger… I don’t know how these stories get started, but I do not approve nor sanction the upcoming film about Judy Garland in any way. Any reports to the contrary are 100% Fiction.”