Forever alone in a crowd, failed comedian Arthur Fleck seeks connection as he walks the streets of Gotham City. Arthur wears two masks — the one he paints for his day job as a clown, and the guise he projects in a futile attempt to feel like he’s part of the world around him. Isolated, bullied and disregarded by society, Fleck begins a slow descent into madness as he transforms into the criminal mastermind known as the Joker.
Director: Todd Phillips
Budget: $55–70 million
Box office: $1.074 billion
When: Saturday 31st August 2019
Where: Sala Grande, Venice, Italy
When: Monday 9th September 2019
Where: Roy Thomson Hall, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
When: Monday 23rd September 2019
Where: UGC Normandie, Paris, France
Los Angeles Premiere
When: Saturday 28th September 2019
Where: TCL Chinese Theatre, Hollywood, Los Angeles, CA
New York Premiere
When: Wednesday 2nd October 2019
Where: Alice Tully Hall, New York, NY
- Joaquin Phoenix lost 52lbs in weight for the role of Joker.
- Joker is the first rated R movie to gross over $1 billion!
- Todd Phillips revised parts of the script with the cast during filming. So much so, that the cast ended up learning some of their lines whilst in hair and makeup to shoot the same the day!
- The Subway shooting scene was inspired by the 1984 New York City Subway Shooting where four men were shot and wounded by Bernhard Goetz after approaching him on a NYC train.
- Bradley Cooper served as a producer on the film!
- Filming took place in and around New York City between September and December 2018.