The Danish Girl
The remarkable love story inspired by the lives of artists Lili Elbe and Gerda Wegener. Lili and Gerda’s marriage and work evolve as they navigate Lili’s groundbreaking journey as a transgender pioneer.
Venice: Friday 4th September 2015 – 72nd Venice International Film Festival
Canada: Saturday 12th September 2015 – 2015 Toronto International Film Festival
Los Angeles: Saturday 21st November 2015 – Westwood Village Theatre, Los Angeles, CA
London: Tuesday 8th December 2015 – Odeon, Leicester Square, London
Directed: Tom Hooper
Starring: Eddie Redmayne, Alicia Vikander, Amber Heard
- Nicole Kidman was originally set to produce the film and play Einar Wegener/Lili Elbe. However, Tom Hooper took over the project in 2014 and cast Eddie Redmayne to play the role of Einar/Lili.
- Charlize Theron was first cast to play Gerda Wegener but dropped out in 2008! Gwyneth Paltrow was then cast to play Gerda however; she also dropped out so she could spend time with her family. Uma Thurman was in talks to replace Gwyneth. In 2010, Marion Cotillard was considered for the role as Nicole Kidman and Mario wanted to team up again after working together on Nine (2009) but the role was given to Rachel Weisz who eventually dropped out also! When Tom Hooper took over the project, Alicia Vikander was cast to play Gerda.
- Filming took place around Denmark, England, Belgium, Norway & Germany.
- In the novel, Amber Heard’s character is an opera singer named Anna Fonsmark. Her name was changed to Oola Paulson for the film after a re-draft in the script and she is a ballet dancer instead of a singer.
- The movie is based upon the 2000 novel of the same name by David Ebershoff.
Behind The Scenes
Share this Post