The Oscars for dummies …
The Oscars is a ceremony to honor the best achievements in film making from the previous year. The winners receive an award as a distinction.
No one really knows how The Oscars got its name. I read two versions : the first is that an Academy librarian saw one of the first statuettes and exclaimed “it looks just like my Uncle Oscar!”, the second story is that Bette Davis (an american actress) named it after her ex-husband, Harmon Oscar Nelson, Jr”
How does it work ? In late December, all Academy members (about 6000) receive ballots to select nominees for the next ceremony. The ceremony generally happens March / April.
For most categories, Academy members vote only for their peers (directors vote for nominees for Best Director, actors vote for nominees for Best Actor, etc.).
The exceptions to this are: Foreign Film, Documentary, Animated Feature Film categories which are nominated by special committees made up of members across the Academy.
The winners for each category are determined by a second voting round, which is opened up to all members of the Academy for most categories.
- The first Academy Awards ceremony was held on May 16, 1929, in the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel, Hollywood. And it lasted 15 minutes !!!
- There are now 24 award categories presented at the ceremony.
- The Academy Awards ceremony is broadcast in over 100 countries , it’s one of the most prestigious and glamorous award ceremonies in the world.
- The Oscar statuette is 13.5in high and weighs 8.5lb It is made of gold-plated britannium. The winner can even use the statuette as a gym weight.
- Two movies were nominated 11 times without winning a single award : The Turning Point (1977) and The Color Purple (1985)
- By contrast, Lord Of The Rings The Return Of The King (2003) won all 11 awards for which it was nominated.
- Oscar statuettes can be sold, but frist must be offered to the academy for a nominal fee of 1 dollar. Check out Ebay .
3 things to mention at your next dinner with friends :
- Meryl Streep has been nominated for more Academy Awards than any other actor/actress, with 17 nominations (she’s won 3 times). She should have won more of them.
- Woody Allen has been nominated for 21 Academy Awards, but he’s only attended the ceremony once (in a year he wasn’t nominated). Perhaps he was busy. Family stuff may be ?
- Walt Disney won more Academy Awards than any other person, with 26 Oscars (22 for his films and 4 honorary awards). Which is how it should be in my point of view, Disney movies are the best.